Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nor-Cal Cross Racer Clu Cotter's Life Taken In Helicopter Crash

I received news today that Clu Cotter, a man who raced Cyclocross very passionately, was killed in a helicopter crash in the mountains above Fresno. Clu was a good friend to me, he showed class and determination when racing Cyclocross, and he was a true pleasure to know. Clu was always tremendously friendly to myself and anyone he came across. Clu made everyone feel very welcome when they would make the trip to Fresno to race Cross. He and I would always take time to chat and discuss his thoughts on Cyclocross in the Central Valley and beyond. Clu was a father of two boys, and he helped his son's develop great interest in cycling. As a proud dad, Clu would bring his kids to races all over Northern California, and he loved the Manzanita Park course in Prunedale. Clu was a huge supporter of the Cross racing in Fresno. He basically never missed a race. At the "Lou Night Race" in Fresno, Clu was there sporting his headlight and taking part in the competition because this guy simply loved to race Cyclocross. Night or day, it did not matter to Clu. He was a huge supporter of all that is Cyclocross. He will be sadly missed by me, and all who had the pleasure and joy to know him. For more info about Clu Cotter please read this report from the Fresno Bee-http://fresnobeehive.com/sportsbuzz/2010/01/remembering_clu_cotter.html...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CLU YOU WILL BE MISSED MY FRIEND! YOUR LIFE WAS CUT SHORT WAY TOO SOON. YOU WERE A VERY CLASSY GUY AND IT WAS GREAT TO RIDE WITH YOU.

1/12/10, 8:17 PM  
Blogger Morgan Fletcher said...

Oh this is hard. I was a friend of Clu's, and I knew his boy Ren from cyclocross races. I just looked through my email and I've got dozens of emails from Clu, all about cyclocross. It was really good to talk with him and race with him, and I am so sad to hear that he's gone. I hope his family is OK and I am here - at least here - to say that he was a good guy and he will be missed. I miss him already.

1/17/10, 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Bruce Lodge - Cal Fire said...

We heard the crash news through our channels at work, but our information did not include any names initially. It never occurred to me that it could have been someone I knew. Clu was a fellow State employee, so we lowered our flags and shrouded our badges in honor of Clu and his colleagues. He died serving the tax payers, doing his job with dedication and professionalism. I met Clu a few years ago, probably at a CCCX race. He was one of the few to make the trip from Fresno to the coast in search of cx competition. I had the pleasure of talking to him in Fresno at a couple Home Grown Series races earlier this season. A really nice guy, a strong competitor, a father mentoring his son in cx, a dedicated public servant. Rest in peace my friend.

1/21/10, 7:17 AM  
Blogger cxwrench said...

wow...really bad news. i grew up in the same neighborhood as clu, we were part of a bunch that rode and raced bmx in grade school. i bumped into him again during the last couple seasons at a bunch of races...it was great to see him again. my thoughts are with his family...

1/24/10, 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home